Saturday, October 30, 2010

HEARTY VEGETABLE CHILE

Beecher's Flagship Foundation came to our elementary school and showed my daughters 5th grade class how to make this healthy dish. The kids all loved it and were able to bring the recipe home. I was so impressed with the program and wished other kids had an opportunity to learn how to cook healthy. See if they will come to your school. Find them at www.FlagShipFoundation.org

I have one secret ingredient that I add which gives great flavor. It is Chipotle Powder. I found it at the Spice Market store in Pikes Place. You can add just about any vegetable to this recipe. If your kids don't like a certain veggie, just chop it up super tiny and they'll never know. I do all my veggies in my food processor, even the garlic. It makes quick work.

In a large pot saute the carrots and olive oil for 2 minutes, then add the other veggies and garlic and saute until soft. 
1T olive oil
4 carrots, washed diced 
1 onion, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped

4 garlic cloves, chopped

Add the spices and saute until veggies are coated.

1 T Chili Powder
1 tsp Chipotle Powder
1 T dried Oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Add the beans and stir.
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can kidney beans, rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed

Add the rest of the ingredients.
2 28oz cans of whole tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup water, or as needed

Simmer 5 minutes.
Top with a 1/2 bunch of cilantro and serve.
Freeze leftovers in large ziplock bags or jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment